Monday 1 October 2012

Ups and Downs. Les hauts et les bas.

The past week and a half has been characterised by a somewhat draining vacillation between a state of homesickness, loneliness, and general despair and moments of (almost) joyful independence. This emotional rollercoaster was not something I anticipated, back when we ignorant MFL students rolled our eyes disdainfully at the “culture shock” presentation we couldn’t help but take lightly. We may have scorned it, but I can now testify to the reality of the culture-shock curve. Even more unexpected is the realisation that this second, happier, state is something I have come to associate with time spent perusing the isles of Leclerc. This may sound like I have been driven folle by the change of air, but it is true that some of my most self-confident loving-life moments have been when attempting to find a happy medium between shopping like une francaise and giving in to my tendencies to simply stock up on cereal. I am now of the opinion that French supermarkets have a marketing ploy they should capitalise on in their niche appeal to the ability to provide despairing foreigners with contentment. Either that or I derive pleasure from eating, shopping, or a happy combination of the two.
Moving on from that illuminating aside, I shall get to the point.  In an attempt to preserve the Leclerc-induced optimism (and to keep this blog cheerful) I decided to put together a list des hauts experienced thus far… achievements, high-points, and general contributions to a state of continental happiness… 

1.      The realisation that I can actually speak French (soothing a genuine pre and post departure fear that I would henceforth be taken for a mute). It turns out speaking to people is actually a reality. 
2.      The realisation that this translates into the surmounting of dreaded post-arrival challenges, notably in the form of a successful appointment at the bank, navigating both the terminology and the hideous amount of paper characteristic of the way the French do things. Apparently they don’t care much for trees.
3.      Conquering the staff-room fear. I can now walk to my locker (yes that’s right, it even has my name on) with confidence, and respond with the necessary pointed volume that je suis la nouvelle assistantewhen mistaken for a student.
4.      I have only been thus mistaken twice.
5.      The procurement of a bike, found lurking in a garage and which after a little adjustment left me pedalling yesterday with the enthusiasm of a child post-stabilisers.
6.      I can now navigate the local supermarket (très important, see above). And there’s an even nearer shop with its own boulangerie.
7.      I have adjusted to the taste of French milk.
8.      Free fruit: I am currently the recipient of more pears and grapes than I can physically consume… Les Amm are adept at making the right connections, as apparently it pays to have friends with a vineyard.
9.      I have won the friendship of a cat named Félix*

*Necessary explanation: One of two petit chats ruling over the main house. We have reached the stage where he will happily sit next to me to receive the fuss I as a friend of felines am more than happy to give him.
Whist noting that the first few are probably more crucial in terms of linguistic and “personal development”, I think keeping me going when I hit a low is the winning combination of two wheels, fresh fruit, an unspoiled up of tea and a friendly cat (all be it not at the same time… though it would make an interesting entry to the Year Abroad Photography Competition…. don’t think I should risk it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment