Thursday 4 October 2012

One Administrative Head-ache and One Cultural Exchange


Yesterday I attended the Reunion d’Assistants in Strasbourg, a ‘training day’ for individuals like myself posted to Alsace on a “mission” as “Ambassadors” for our language and culture (I enjoyed the way they put it, made my 12hour working week seem slightly more significant). The 6am start meant I was a bleary-eyed traveller, but all complaints were silenced by the number of teenagers on the first bus out of Guebwiller, as clearly departing before 7 is all part of their daily routine. And I didn’t have 8hours of lessons to follow! (increasingly tempted to conclude French young people work slightly harder than their English counterparts). The day didn’t get off to a fantastic start, proving nothing more than a lesson in bureaucracy French-style, as two hours were spent attempting to explain the functioning of the social security system and of course the multiple stages of perilous paperwork to be conquered before we can claim our rights French-style. However, the day did pick up. The highlight for me was the chance to meet other Assistants. Somewhat conversely, I did not seek or find solace in meeting my fellow Anglophones, but ended up spending the best part of the day and a very enjoyable lunch break with some friendly Germans. We wandered into the city centre, bought nice foods of the breaded variety and sat in the square observing the passing of hour a midi when all of France joins together in taking time to eat (or so it seems…). As the common language, we decided to parler francais, interjected occasionally with random words in English and German. I felt like a true student/language learner, participating in a veritable cultural exchange in which the fille Allemande et Anglaise attempted to navigate their linguistic and cultural differences and unite through speaking and eating like the French. Perhaps the best part of this echange culturelle happened slightly later, on the train home. Yet again encountering a friendly German placed in Colmar (they seem to be everywhere!), I took the opportunity to practice my beginners German and was kindly treated to a lesson in the basics. My sheer excitement at learning some new words resulted in a rendition of Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, (version Allemande) on my part. No doubt a source of major annoyance to my fellow passengers, proud of my progress (and possibly at that stage of tiredness that leaves you feeling a little deranged) I ended the day on a high note. I may not have gone beyond elementary German, and the administrative headache is sure to continue, but to be honest I enjoyed my (alternative) day of cultural exchange.

Kopf, Schulter, Knie und Fuß,
Knie und Fuß
Kopf, Schulter, Knie und Fuß,
Knie und Fuß
Augen, Ohren, Nase und Mund,
Kopf und Schulter, Knie und Fuß, Knie und Fuß.


No comments:

Post a Comment