Monday 20 May 2013

Ellen Grace, Assistante Editoriale.... aka, the intern.


With the preceding tales of cultural excursions and lazy afternoon strolls, you’d think I was on a not-so-mini-break in the capital, wearing the corners of my Gilbert&Jeune map-book and trying to avoid the flock of tourists that May has brought to Paris (despite the rain). However, regardless of appearances I am not a 9-5 sightseer. Au contraire, my primary role is that of stagiare. For those unfamiliar to the concept of interning, it boils down to a handy exchange of interesting and necessary work experience for the student, in return for the financial benefit of cheap labour for the employer. Add to this a French-speaking environment, and an excuse to live in Paris.... it sounds good to me.

With the official title assistante editoriale, I am in effect working as an intern in the editorial department of a small publishers, banlieu-located, and interestingly eschewing all normal conventions of the sector. The vision of Edilivre is to open up the market to any inspired writer, regardless of experience or genre, allowing amateurs of any level to see their work on the shelf. Granted they might not be about to win the prix Goncourt 2013 but at the very least budding authors can make the move from a 106-page word document to something that actually resembles a book. And working in editorial means my role is in this very process.  My main duties thus far have been in the initial “selection” of manuscripts, which involves “reading” what we receive, and offering a summary/comment/score to facilitate the next stage. Some are interesting; some need work, and others downright questionable. Not my place to judge whether the vocation of certain authors has been wisely chosen, I put it down to literary democracy and diversity, and move on. Aside from reading, I am also implicated in the editing side of things. Checking and logging modifications (primarily the small details, but hey, getting the spelling of the authors name right is pretty important) has been the latest learning-curve, with the main challenge being the navigation of a rather confusing online administrative platform, and colleagues who combine both being incredibly busy with being incredibly Parisian, resulting in much interpretation (on my c.v. I’ll put “initiative”) rather than actually comprehending the instructions I receive. 

Though the tasks may be somewhat repetitive, the environment a little unique, and my place categorically at the bottom of the book-chain, I am learning none the less what it means and takes to work in editorial. And my small input in the creation of a book, plus a significant amount of time spent reading (however varied the material), means it’s not with reluctance that I resume my post of a Monday morning. After 7 months “working” as a language assistant, adapting to the 9-6 rhythm of full-time employment has proved a slight challenge, but for now I am relishing the routine and sense of productivity. It is also a relief that the commute i.e. twice daily battle with the French underground, is proving manageable. Having mastered the art of reading standing/squashed up against a metal pole, I make the most of my morning 50 minutes to read (this time material of my choosing). That is of course in between seeing the funny side of being so involved in fellow passengers conversations it’s almost impolite to not join in, and playing a favourite metro-game of sussing out the literary tastes of other commuters (you can tell a lot about a person from their livre de poche). Thus passes a day in the life of the assistante editoriale, literally book-ended and worthy of a few stories of its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment